Custom Search

Monday, November 3, 2008

Wireless Sensor Networks

Everyone wants to be wireless because of the conveniences it offers, but what exactly does being wireless mean? Does the conveniences match up or exceed the security vulnerabilities?

One Group Two member stated she has always connected to the internet on a desktop and now signs posted in the windows of businesses and the constant chum of WiFi conversations have peeked her interest to what a WiFi is. So what exactly is a WiFi? Research informs Group Two that WiFi is a wireless network that allows internet connectivity by the use of radio waves, minus the dangling wires. The same concept is used in cell phones, yet the frequencies are greater in WiFi connections, allowing for more data to be transferred at a time. Much the same idea as when our nose or tongue sends sensory information to our brain. However, just because one enters a location that advertises WiFi, he must have the capabilities on his laptop in order to connect. One requirement is already met if a fairly new laptop is being used as they are all now sold with internet-ready accessibility of an internal wireless transmitter. If an older laptop is used, a wireless adapter can be purchased that fits into the USB port or PC card slot. The laptop will then automatically search for a neighboring WiFi hotspot and ask if the user wants to connect to it. However, these networks usually contain many other users riding on the same free connection. This will slow down activity and even make the computer susceptible to security breaches. The setting on a laptop that allows automatic searches and connectivity for any available and unrestricted network can be turned off. There is yet another control for even greater security named the Media Access Control. The physical address of the computer must be verified before accessing the network by specifying authorized addresses at the installation of the router. Albeit, the security risk is manageable and does not compare to the convenience that wireless provides. One can move from place to place without being bound by wires. Now that’s a true advantage!

One can even have wireless internet in the comfort of his own home or during transport without a hotspot. Assessing the web is a cinch with a network card from an internet service provider or cell phone company. They are termed “air cards”. So if one is hanging on to a landline just to use dial-up or DSL to connect to the internet, the air card replaces landlines easily and with mobility options.

Another option is to get a wireless router, which would let you access the internet anywhere in your house within a certain distance of the router. The transmission uses an antennae on the router either internally or externally, which connects computers with wireless signals. With the advent of wireless keyboards, mouses, and even printers, the inconvenience of having lots of different wires is soon to become a mere memory. However, it is necessary that the router is compatible to the configurations of your laptop or it may not initially work correctly. More research and shopping will need to be done to make it work, so it is suggestive to get compatible systems initially.

There are many types of wireless networks and they are used in many more methods than with laptops, computers, cell phones, and the bluetooth. Much to Group Two’s surprise, it was learned that wireless sensor networks (WSN) are used in the production of grapes. It seems grapes are highly affected by the environment. The WSN monitors the physical and chemical characteristics of the soil and makes determinations about when to harvest and making wine production a process that can be monitored for a desired result.


WSN’s are also being implemented in the field of health care. They are used to measure heart rates and oxygen saturation levels in the blood. They soon will be used to monitor patients with heart disease, sleep apnea and asthma. They are used as alarms and monitor real time for instant and continuous processing.
 
Once again the convenience of wireless...sensing without being present; what an idea!

WSNs were originally used by the military for battlefield surveillance purposes. They are commonly used to monitor, track, or control. An interesting application of WSNs while monitoring for the military is they can detect when an enemy intrudes a certain perimeter. In the past, landmines were used for the same purpose. Landmines can remain active for up to 50 years and they have killed or injured over a million people since 1975. So WSNs are a good example of technology saving lives.

Wireless technology is rapidly expanding. It is in libraries, hospitals, homes, hotels, coffee shops and just moments away from being in the nearest public restrooms thanks to the boundless innovations of those at Google!

9 comments:

Frances Rowe said...

I think the wireless technology is great. I know a few people that has the router so they can connect to the internet. This is great if you have more than one computer in your house. The wireless internet is great. You can take your laptop and plug into the internet anywhere.
Frances Rowe

Holly said...

I too think that having wireless access is convenient to many especially in the case of work. However, sometimes I feel we are too connected. I see people out with friends and most of the time they are buried in their devices. Please don't use the public restroom and talk on your cell. There are just some things that need to be kept private.!

Debbie P said...

Currently I am not taking advantage of wireless technology, but hope to soon. The convenience of having a loptop offering portability and wireless Internet accessibility would most definitely help my schedule, especially with my online classes. Right now I have to put things off until I can get home to my computer. Today, I sat in the waiting area of my car dealership for over an hour and if I had a laptop that hour would not have been wasted. As far as the cell phone in the restroom goes, I am guilty.

Snoodle Family said...

I work in a medical office, and we do not have the WIFI access for our patients. I know that a lot of people get frustrated when they come in and hook up to the internet, just to find out that there is not access to the internet.
I have mixed feelings about that. A part of me thinks that a person should be allowed to access the internet anytime,anywhere. Just like a cell phone. My cell phone works anywhere, and I feel like I should have the freedom to use it at any given time.
On the other hand, privacy is nice. It drives me crazy to hear a conversation going on in the lobby about some really private business that everyone should not know about, and yet, that person is rattling on about it anyways. I just think that people should use their best judgement!

Annteee said...

WiFi connections are great. There's just something about sitting in a coffee shop drinking a cup of coffee and reading the latest news on your (wireless) computer. I am again amazed at the technology of today. The aircards are the best. You can be riding in a car and check your emails, instanat message a friend, or just blog. WOW!

Unknown said...

I love the wireless age we are at now. I have both a desktop and laptop computer at home and I never even turn my desktop on anymore because I have a router. I love being able to be in any room of the house and be online. It is also nice because my boyfriend logs onto my router and has access.

Angela Murphy said...

My husband and I are prime examples of a couple things mentioned in this post. We have a wireless router in our house connected to our desktop computer in the office. We both have our own personal laptops that we use the wireless connection on to connect to the internet. It's nice to be able to have my laptop in the kitchen and pull up recipes online to follow, just that easy. On the other hand, we also have air cards which were very handy during Gustav and Ike. We lost our internet connection, but because of the air cards, my husband was able to log on and work from home during the storms. We also use the air cards when traveling because we can use them on the road...literally.

1234 said...

I love wireless technology. I have purchased both an air card and a router. I live out of the city limits so my options were either dial up or an air card. I purchased the air card so that my husband could have internet access while I am on the computer.

The router I have allows me to insert my air card. However when we go out of town I just take the air card and one of the laptops so we can access the internet on the road. I love the fact that offices, stores, and hotels have wirless access because being an online student I have assignments due all the time and I am not restricted to being at home at a certain time to submit them.

Stacy Tuberville said...

Wireless networking and Wi-Fi are great resources for convience. Most people now use that at some point in their life. As far as the in home wireless routers go, however, my one piece of advice to anyone that uses it is to remember to go into the router set up and put in a wirless passkey to lock down your wireless network to make sure someone isn't acessing it that should not be.