Custom Search

Thursday, November 6, 2008

E-commerce

Have you ever wanted to go shopping, but you didn’t have anyone to watch the kids? What about wanting to go shopping, but the store isn’t in your hometown? E-commerce can help in these situations. More and more people are turning to the internet to do their shopping. It is convenient because you never have to leave the house, and you have a larger selection of things to choose from. Example, here in Little Rock we don't have a Macy's or Nordstrom’s. You can shop both these stores online and order whatever you find. While most shopping is still traditional, "e-commerce revenue represents about 5 percent of all retail sales in the U.S. and there is tremendous upside potential for growth." (pg. 313, MIS textbook)
E-commerce has many aspects that makes if different and better that traditional shopping. The textbook describes e-commerce as ubiquitous. This basically means that the t is available everywhere! You can reach the internet from your home, work, or even car! This creates a huge marketspace. Another great things about e-commerce is that it has universal standards. The standards for the internet are basically the same world wide. This aspect of e-commerce lowers the market entry cost. With e-commerce you have an unbelievable about of product differentiation, and it is easy to comparison shop! E-commerce opens a consumer up to the world! A person in the United States could easily shop in Paris from their living room, in their pajamas! How cool is that?
E-commerce has entered into our daily lives in one way or another. There are three different types of e-commerce; business-to-business, business-to-consumer, and consumer-to-consumer. Can you tell which one the group members have experienced?
Group member Lori said, “I like to shop on e-bay. I can find everything I need right there, and the prices are unbeatable!” If you guessed consumer-to-consumer, you got it!
When group member Renita was asked about e-commerce she replied, “ I love shopping online. It is very convenient, I have small children and getting to the mall or other stores is not always an option. So being able to get online and buy what I want or need is perfect. I shop at a lot of stores that we don't have here. So many people are looking for convenience these days and the stores have made it easy for us. Also with the Black Friday (Day after Thanksgiving) sales coming up a lot of people will be shopping online rather than going to stand in long lines at the store.” Did you guess business-to-consumer? This is what group member Justin had to say, “Not only people shopping online, but businesses as well. My civilian job is with Best Buy. I know first hand that all of the ordering is done by computers now. When something gets low on stock the computer system recognizes that it needs to order more. The funny thing about this way of doing business is that it doesn't take people anymore, it is done by the "all powerful computers." Doing business this way can be very useful, but it can hurt the company as well if it is not carefully monitored by employees. What I mean is that, you need someone dedicated to inventory. Having someone dedicated to inventory gives you the peace of mind that the computer system is correct and it also helps with loss prevention.” That’s it, business-to-business! Group member Brittney said, “ I get to experience all three types! I love shopping online at Buckle and Victoria Secret! I live over an hour away from either of these stores, so online shopping is the key. I also find good deals on textbooks through e-bay’s half.com. I have also bought parts for my job through other online companies. E-commerce is great!”
These are just a few examples of how e-commerce can affect your life. Have you thought about how it affects yours? It provides more options, saves time, and sometimes even money. Take a minute to think about where you would be without e-commerce. Don’t worry though, e-commerce is not going anywhere, only growing!

10 comments:

Neisa said...

I use e-commerce at least weekly in the business to business realm. I purchase parts for your business on line. I love the convenience and ease of some of the websites and hate others. I also purchase items on e-bay at times (mainly electronics). I do all of my photograph development through Wal-Mart's photo center. It makes my life so much easier. I can upload my digital pictures to the one hour photo department tonight and by the time I can get ready for work and get to Wal-Mart tomorrow, those pictures are ready and waiting for me. E-commerce is definitely convenient and also growing everyday.

Anonymous said...

I also use e-commerce quite often. I bought all of my textbooks online for a significantly lower price. I also try to shop for my daughter's clothes online because they are sometimes cheaper and it is really hard trying to take a two year old shopping. I also do not really have time to shop alot because of work, school, and family so online shopping saves me a lot of time. Christmas season is here, so I will try to bargain hunt online for most of my gifts.

David said...

E commerce is an amazing asset to the retail business. I am a manager at a retail store that also has an online store. We have online customers in 49 states. The online store is an amazing supplement to our 8 stores. It is convenient and very easy to use for our customers. If our stores our slow it is a great way for us to keep profits at a good level until our stores pick back up. I have come to appreciate e commerce on a consumer and a retailer level.

Frances Rowe said...

I love e-commerce. I use Wal-Mart online for my pictures. I mainly use it at Christmas time. I stay busy with my kids and they are always with me. Shopping online is great and I just have it sent to my office. I don't know what life would be like without the internet and cell phone.
Frances Rowe

Daniel Fuller said...

I've used eBay to buy textbooks, too. I've saved literally hundreds of dollars over the last couple of years. One of the books I bought on eBay (for this class actually) got lost in the mail though, so I had to buy through the bookstore.

Deidra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Demechia said...

E-commerce is everywhere. It is being made available in many places. The convenience of some of the webistes is amazing. I use e-commerce to order my books online and I sometimes use it for shopping convenience.

Dmechia

The Seabolt's said...

I think the idea of e-commerce is great. It brings more choices to the people and allows people like me to comparison shop. It is also very important for companies to realize that more and more people are spending their time online and this is an effective tool to get them to shop at your online store. I recently used Walmart’s site to store and found it so easy and fast!

1234 said...

I am an avid online shopper. I am usually online browsing the websites of the stores that I like to shop at when I am out of state to see what I can buy. It is so convenient to be able to buy what I want without having to drive all the way there.

I have four small children so online shopping is wonderful for me because I don't have to pack everyone up and go to the store.

Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful to live in the time of e-commerce. I hate that we don't have a Macy's close but thanks to online shopping, I'm all set. I also bought all of my textbooks online.

On the other hand, at work, it makes life so much easier because we can order supplies online at a discount while also saving money by not having to send someone there.

And Snapfish.com is my FAVE site ever. Never again will I make a trip to get photos printed, because thanks to e-commerce, I can so easily just upload, click, and in a few days, they're waiting in my mailbox for me. FANTASTIC!