Custom Search

Monday, October 20, 2008

Computer Crimes

As the world becomes more and more dependent on computers, threats to those computers continue to increase at alarming rates. Computer crimes are flourishing despite the rigorous efforts of law enforcement and the business communities that try to stop it. According to a 2005 FBI survey, nearly nine out of 10 organizations experience computer security incidents in a year’s time. The survey revealed that virus and spyware led the list. Viruses and worms cost organizations $12 million annually.

Hackers are individuals who gains unauthorized access to computers. Crackers are hackers who have the intent of doing something criminal. According to the FBI, the newest threat to computers is through a wireless internet or network connection. The FBI stated that the Wireless Encryption Protocol is becoming increasingly vulnerable to hackers. They can gain access to a computer simply by being near your home. Once they have access, they can send illegal spam and pilfer your computer’s data. The FBI suggests that home computer owners setup password protection and change the default and security setting on the WEP.

Identity theft is also a serious computer crime plaguing our country. Personal information can be gained by a hacker through phishing. Phishing is accomplished by setting up fake web sites or sending emails to individuals asking to update personal information such as social security numbers, bank account information, or credit card information. The Internal Revenue Service has actually been warning individuals of this practice for several years now. Criminals pose as the IRS in an attempt to access confidential information. Many people are afraid of the IRS so this works out well for the criminals.

Setting router protocols is a small way to defend yourself from hackers and crackers. Another form of "self defense" is to pay a servicing company to "follow up" with your credit to help stop identity theft. I know this is a small price to pay, but once you have been hit, the cost of "recovering" your identity is very expensive and will be worth the investment. You should constantly get an updated credit report from the three major credit bureaus that you are entitled to each year. This will give you a chance to dispute, even report suspicious activities in your bureau. These credit/identity maintenance are very time consuming, but it is a small way of protecting yourself in the long run.

With all the advanced technological criminals in the world today, a few suggestions come to mind. Always make sure your computer is protected with some type of virus and firewall protection. If you haven’t already done so, make sure you setup passwords on your wireless internet connection. Most importantly, never ever give personal information to anyone in an email.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

It is so scary to me how people can actually hack so far into business and personal computers and networks. About 6 years ago I had about $200 charged to my debit card that I didn't authorize. The purchase was done through paypal but it wasn't my account. Luckily I got it taken care of and got my money back. You have to be so careful these days about what you send over networks and the internet.

David said...

I have actually received emails asking me for my bank account number. The email had somehow been forged to look just like an email from bank of America. I called the bank and they explained to me that it was a fake. It is amazing what people can do online.

Frances Rowe said...

Just this year I have started paying my bills online. I worry that someone will get my information but it is so nice to pay my bills online. I don't know of anyone who has ever had a problem but I know it does happen. I just pray that it will never happen to me.
Frances Rowe

Holly said...

I have had my credit stolen online and the person charged over $5,000 on the card. I have called all the credit card companies and I have a limit of $???? a month on the account to use. If I need more than that, I just call them and raise the limit. Of course, this is not good in case of an emergency. But once you have had that much damage done to your credit, it is worthwhile.

It if strange how easy it is for someone to steal your identity and rack up charges, but so hard to restore your good credit.

Christen said...

Identity theft is my worse fear. I didn't know you can have them cap your monthly spending Holly...I think I'm going to do that to help protect myself!

Demechia said...

Computer crimes are on the rise everyday. SO much is going on. You have phishing, social engineering and a new one I just learned about is typosquatting, which means if you type in an address incorrectly it can take you to a bogus site that is designed to steal your information.


Demechia

Anonymous said...

Most of the actual bank online banking sites are secure and protected, so you don't have to worry about paying your bills, checking your balances, reconciling your books, etc. However, I did say most. Some companies aren't as up-to-date as others. Always look for the padlock in the lower right-hand corner for a good sign of security.

But definitely, DO NOT ever send any info over email or websites unless you know 100% for sure that it is legitimate.

Of course, most banks do have the Total Fraud Protection feature, so even if you did do something but you realize later it was fraudlent, you're protected and will quickly get your money back.

Jason Beyerlein said...

You can't be too careful today. I have a relative that had their identity stolen two years ago and is still dealing with it. Her credit took a hit and she has not been able to get this resolved. Not to mention they know who did this and there is not really anything that can be done.

Snoodle Family said...

I have had my identity stolen twice over the years. Someone got ahold of all of my information and opened up a credit card in his name. That happened about five years ago. A couple of weeks ago, someone got ahold of my debit card info and used it in Guatemela. I found out that when people go to restaurants that waiters and waitresses are writing down card numbers. At gas stations the attendents are hacking the systems to get info. I am not saying that all people do this! :) It just amazes me that people can be this dishonest!

Andy Arnold said...

This is very good information as a computer crash whether it be at home or at a business level can be crippling. Some viruses can be located and “healed” but many others affect the hard drive where in these cases a new computer is the only viable choice. Not only having virus protection can keep one safe from infiltration as even those have to be updated.