Custom Search

Monday, October 13, 2008

Analog vs. Digital

Starting February 17, 2009 all full-power broadcast television stations will stop broadcasting on analog airwaves. They will be in digital only. This allows stations to offer improved picture and sound quality as well as additional channels (www.dtv.gov). The bad thing is once this takes place, unless you have a newer TV, anything made before March 1, 2007 will need a digital-to-analog converter box. Up until March 31, 2009 all households will be able to request up to two coupons to redeem for the converter which each is a $40 value.

The main reason this switch is even happening is because the government wants to free up all of the analog airways. The website, www.dtvanswers.com, says an important benefit of the switch to all-digital broadcasting is that it will free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for other services. Also, some of the spectrum will be auctioned to companies, so they can provide consumers with more advanced wireless services, such as wireless broadband.

Consumers will also benefit from this transition. Not only will digital offer a better picture and sound quality, digital is also more efficient. This transition will actually mean more choices of shows to watch! Who wouldn't love that? Now channels like 7 could offer more than one show. You could watch 7-1, 7-2, or 7-3. It is called multicasting. How awesome is that?

What makes digital better than analog? Basically, the digital signal is transmitted as 1's and 0's, your TV or converter box then deciphers those 1's and 0's and puts them in the correct order which then gives you the picture. It's kind of complicated if you are not around it often, but it is much more efficient than transmitting the old analog signal. Analog signals use much more bandwidth therefore cutting down on the quality of the picture and sound.

There are many questions to consider. Many are concerned about their satellite reception. From what I read, they have nothing to be concerned about. The satellite companies already broadcast their shows in digital. "As a result, there should be no change in service for satellite subscribers unless the local TV stations are not provided by the satellite carrier."
" I have Directv and they sent us a notice telling us that it wouldn't affect us no matter what type of television we have because they broadcast over a digital signal so if they work now they will work later." Renita Brown said. That is great to know!

Let's talk about this converter box. "To help consumers with the DTV transition, the Government established the Digital-to-Analog Converter Box Coupon Program. The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), a part of the Department of Commerce, administers this program. Every U.S. household is eligible to receive up to two coupons, worth $40 each, toward the purchase of eligible digital-to-analog converter boxes." That sounds good to me. They official website for the transition states that they started taking applications January 2008. These coupons are only good at participating electronic stores, so visit dtv2009.org for a list of the stores.

If you decide to just get rid of your old tv and buy a digital, they even have programs for that! There are several recycling programs available to use. My Green Electronics was listed on the website, and you can view all their information at http://www.mygreenelectronics.org

If you would like to know more information visit the official website for digital tv transition at dtv2009.org.

6 comments:

Frances Rowe said...

I think the digital tv is going to be better. I know people who have a old tv and they don't like the change. I didn't know they were going to offer more channels. Most analog tv don't have the best picture on it. Are the boxes for the analog going to make the picture better?
Frances Rowe

Anonymous said...

OMG, yes!!! The boxes do make the picture SOOO much better. My parents also weren't ready for the change, but once they got one box for one of their TVs, they immediately went and bought one more. They were able to use the coupons they talk about on TV, and man.... the picture is CRYSTAL clear! Because think about it, no more antenna trying to pick up the signal, it's digital signal without any snow. BEAUTIFUL!!

Unknown said...

Frances,
My understanding is that it will. There will no longer be any analog service which is why you must get a converter box if you wish to still watch TV. I could be wrong about that though.

Neisa said...

Since I live out in the country I have a dish so this will not affect me at all. I think it is great that they are finally making the switch to all digital. One nice thing about it for me is that the local channels are now available in HD. We bought a 57" HDTV a couple years ago and I wouldn't have anything else now. One thing I didn't know is that they were going to use the analog signal for other things. Maybe I shouldn't have taken down my antenna, it may come in handy down the road.

Daniel Fuller said...

Wow, I wish I had a 57 inch. I bought a 32 inch about a year ago and I could never go back. It's hard to even watch non-HD channels.

Jason Beyerlein said...

Thanks for the web site. I have a TV in my garage that is not linked up to Direct and I need a box. I will go to the site soon. Also I can not wait to get a clearer picture.