Custom Search

Monday, September 22, 2008

Hardware and Software

Fifteen years ago, the word “blog” didn’t mean very much to most of us. Hardware and software were just really starting to enter the language of every day users. Sales of the word processor began dwindling. It doesn’t take long for things to change. It is rare to find someone now who does not own a PC or a Mac or at least use one for work on a daily basis. Even children as young as two are being trained on how to control a mouse and type their names on a personal computer. In the business world, it seems that it would be difficult to make a profit without some type of computer.

The type of computer used by a particular business depends on their size and the type of business they are. Personal computers, likely not networked, are used with smaller businesses most likely because of the small number of employees. On the other hand, a company with multiple locations or many employees may have a need for compiling data from various locations in which they would all be networked using a centralized server. A retail chain with multiple stores would be a great example of this. Being able to transfer sales data, inventory changes, employee hours, etc is a huge advantage for retailers. Information polling on a daily basis will help the main office monitor the business on a regular basis. A server would also allow managers from the different stores to share data.

The software that companies use to operate their businesses also plays a crucial role in how profitable they may be. Some rely solely on programs in each department. Accounting, finance, marketing, human resources and engineering each have programs that enable them to complete their daily tasks. In the end, all of the information generated from these programs combines to keep the business going and relay to the public what they are trying to accomplish.

Now imagine yourself fifteen years ago, where you lived, how you dressed and what was going on in your life. Your friends living 200 miles away want to know what’s going on with you. Did we ever think it would be as simple as logging onto our personal computers, accessing the internet and posting a blog?

8 comments:

Holly said...

I can't believe that my 6 year old knows how to open word, type, make the font bigger with a highlight on it and save the document. Things have certainly come a long way in a short amount of time.

Annteee said...

I would have never guessed that we would be so advanced. 15 years ago, we were probably still sending written letters to friends and family, and today we can create our very own page on facebook and include our entire life history if we wanted. Our friends and family (even people we don't know) can come to this location and visit with us instantly. Technology is amazing. I hope that the trend continues. Who knows what the future hold.

Unknown said...

I can't imagine what life would be like without computers and all the software that goes with them. They certainly make things much easier than having to do everything by hand and paper. I know my office is overflowing with files but it would be so much worse if nothing could be stored on a computer in a software program. Can you imagine how long everything would take?

Debbie P said...

I can remember learning to type in high school on an actual IBM typewriter and using carbon paper for corrections. Then, when I entered the workforce I remember typewriters had advanced and could store a sentence or paragraph and would type it on command with the push of one key. If we advance in the next 20 years as we have in the past 20 years, what will life be like? I don't know that my creativity expands far enough allow me to imagine how everyday life will be.

1234 said...

We really have come a long way from 15 years ago. I have personally bought a network router for my house. This way we can all be on the internet at the same time (sad I know :-)). But my husband complains that he never gets to use the internet when I am in school so this has solved our problem.

tbowen said...

I think it is great that technology has advanced so much. It has really made things alot easier working in an office. I don't think I would survive using carbon copy paper and a typewriter. Before we know it, kids will be teaching classes to adults on how to operate the new gadgets.

Daniel Fuller said...

It really is amazing how fast technology is advancing. I can remember when the internet first started taking off and it literally took several minutes for a page to load (maybe we just had a slow computer). Now if something doesn't work perfectly within a few seconds, I get very impatient.

Snoodle Family said...

I remember when I was a kid, I had a typewriter that had the carbon copy. And if you made a mistake you had to start all over again! How frustrating was that! I am happy that we have WORD on computers now that make it so easy to type and save documents. Thank goodness for the advancement in technology.